Dress Code and Dress Code Violations
The “appropriateness” of dress relative to school policy is determined by the administration. Students who choose to dress inappropriately in uniform or for designated Dress Down Days” days will incur a Dress Code Misconduct. Three Misconducts equal one 30-minute Detention. Any student receiving one or more dress code violation per month will not be allowed to participate in monthly dress down days.
Students dress in clean, neat play clothes with school shoes or tennis shoes. No sandals or “backless” shoes. Parents must purchase gym uniforms.
BOYS IN GRADES 1-6
- Dress pants in navy, khaki or grey. NO cargo pants.
- Polo shirt in solid light blue, grey, royal blue, or navy blue (3-4 buttons and a collar) in short or long sleeve worn tucked in at the waist.
- Dress shoes such as loafers, oxfords, deck shoes. NO TENNIS SHOES. Crew or dress socks.
- Sweater in plain navy, grey, light blue, or royal blue (v-neck, crew, cardigan) or “official” St. Leo sweatshirt without hood (available for purchase from the school office).
BOYS IN GRADES 7-8
- Dress pants in navy, khaki or grey. NO cargo pants.
- Polo shirt is solid light blue, grey, royal blue or navy or solid colored dress shirt in short or long sleeve tucked in at the waist with solid or pattered tie. Dress shirt required for some events.
- Sweater in plain navy or grey, (crew or cardigan) or “official” St. Leo sweatshirt without hood (available for purchase from the school office).
- Dress shoes, crew or dress socks, and sweater/sweatshirt same as for boys in grades 1-6. NO TENNIS SHOES.
PROHIBITED FOR BOYS
Substituting jeans or pants of “jeans-like” material, pants with leg-pockets, or pants gathered at the ankles for dress trousers; low-cut or “cropped” socks; colored / decorated undershirts; “hoodies” (hooded sweatshirts) in lieu of sweaters or regulation SLS sweatshirts; “work boots”, tennis shoes; shoes without hard soles; sandals; heavy neck chains; earrings (includes earrings covered with band-aids); cartilage or body piercing; tattoos. Hair must be neatly combed and out of eyes. Styles of trendy or unusual haircuts such as dyed, spiked hair, lines, tails, Mohawk or ridges and colors are not permitted.
GIRLS IN GRADES 1-3
- Royal blue plaid jumper. Jumper must be knee length. Can be purchased at Schoolbelle’s.
- Polos shirts in light blue, grey, royal blue, or navy. Shirt must have a collar.
- Dress pants in navy or grey. DRESS PANTS ONLY! NO tight-fitting pants, leggings, yoga pants, stirrup pants, hip-hugger pants, bell-bottom pants, sewn on pockets, rivets or jeans.
- Tights, crew socks, or knee socks in solid colored plain navy, blue, or gray.
- “School shoes” with low heels such as loafers, saddle shoes. NO TENNIS SHOES, “SLIPPERS”, BOOTS, “BACKLESS”, or SHOES WITHOUT “STREET SOLES”.
- Sweater in plain navy, grey, light blue, or royal blue (crew or cardigan) or “official” St. Leo sweatshirt without hood (available for purchase from the school office).
Undergarments should be white or flesh colored and should not be visible underneath the school uniform.
GIRLS IN GRADES 4-8
The dress code for grades 4-8 is identical to grades 1-3 with the substitution of the royal blue plaid skirt (permanently pleated or kilt-wrap style) or flat-panel uniform “skort” (from Schoolbelles) in lieu of the plaid jumper.
PROHIBITED FOR GIRLS
Make-up; nail polish or artificial nails; hoop or “dangling” earrings (safety issue); more than 2 post-earrings per ear; only one bracelet, necklace and ring will be permitted; cartilage or body piercing; tattoos; using jeans or pants of “jeans-like” material , “stirrup” pants, or leggings for dress slacks; colored or decorated t-shirts or tops under the uniform blouse; low-cut or no-show socks; patterned socks; tennis shoes, boots, backless shoes; slippers; shoes without hard soles (e.g. leather moccasins); sandals; “hoodies” inside the building; shoes with heels high enough to pose a safety risk, tote-bag sized purses. Hair must be neatly combed and kept out of eyes. Hair color must be natural looking; no extreme hairstyles, colors or highlights.
PHYSICAL EDUCATION UNIFORMS
Students in all grades must wear the regulation physical education uniform and tennis shoes. Students in grades K-4 wear the gym uniform and tennis shoes to school on gym day, with gym shorts worn August through September and May through June only. Uniforms are purchased from the school office.
OFFICIAL ST. LEO SWEATSHIRT
Official St. Leo sweatshirts without hood (navy blue with the SLS logo) are optional and may be purchased from the school office. This is the only sweatshirt that may be worn in lieu of sweaters over the uniform polo.
UNIFORM SHORTS FOR BOYS AND GIRLS
Uniform shorts may be purchased from Schoolbelles or must look like Schoolbelle’s shorts. Students may wear uniform shorts from the first day of school through the end of September and from May through June. Shorts may be approved during other months in the case of unusually hot weather, but these days will be announced via the school P.A. system. When uniform shorts are worn, all other uniform regulations apply. NO “CARGO” SHORTS. All shorts must be knee length.
- Jeans (NO HOLES) uniform pants, athletic pants and joggers are permitted. Girls are permitted to wear leggings or tights under a dress, skirt or very long t-shirt. The length of the dress, skirt or very long t-shirt must approach the knee. Plain color Polo Shirts, T-shirts, T-shirts with appropriate messages, or sports teams are allowed. Shirts must have sleeves. • Socks must be worn. (No Ankle or Low-Cut socks) • Shoes: Only athletic shoes with logos are permitted. Flip flops, wheel shoes and high heels are not permitted.
- Official St. Leo Athletic “hoodies” are permitted as in-school wear only on Dress Down Days. NOT PERMITTED: tank tops or “muscle” shirts; spandex, bicycle pants; pajama pants; hats in the building; non-St. Leo“hoodies”; sandals, backless shoes or “boots”; t-shirts with inappropriate pictures, words, or phrases. Shorts may be substituted for jeans during the same months that school uniform shorts may be worn (see “Uniform Shorts” above)
DRESS-UP DAY CODE FOR GIRLS
Dresses with sleeves, sun dresses with blouses, skirts, or dress slacks with white or colored blouses. NO tight fitting clothing. NO JEANS. Cardigan sweaters may be worn (not warm-ups).
DRESS-UP DAY CODE FOR BOYS
Dress pants (no jeans), shirt with collar. Top button may be opened. Multi- colored sweaters may be worn (not warm-ups). A belt must be worn if pants have loops. Socks and shoes must be worn.
UNIFORM PURCHASES AND THE “UNIFORM EXCHANGE”
Most uniform pieces are available through Schoolbelles, Inc. However, most items (with the exception of “skorts”) may be purchased elsewhere as long as they meet the descriptive requirements listed above. St. Leo School sponsors a Uniform Exchange Program in which “gently used” uniforms are donated and offered to other parents. The Uniform Exchange is open at the beginning of the year, during parent conferences, and at other times by request to the office. Uniform donations are greatly appreciated and may be donated to the school office any time during the year.